will insurance cover if I damage my own car?

If I Damage My Own Car, Can I Claim on Insurance?

New Look Car Insurance

Accidents happen, and unfortunately, the accident can be something as silly as bumping into your spouse’s car in the driveway. Whether one or both of the vehicles involved in the accident are damaged, you should make a claim with your insurance. No matter how much of the damages your policy covers, your agent can provide you with options so you can determine the most cost effective course of action.

In a car accident in Nevada or Arizona? Get an auto body estimate.

If I Damage My Own Car, Can I Claim on Insurance?

The most likely answer to this question is yes. However, it does depend on your insurance policy and the situation. In the event that the vehicle you were operating is damaged, collision insurance would cover the costs. If you only have comprehensive insurance, then you will not be covered, as comprehensive insurance only covers non-collision damage, such as theft- or weather-related damage. Success with your claim would also depend on whether your policy includes no-fault coverage, meaning your insurance will cover cost of the damages no matter who was at fault in the situation.

Related: When Is Collision Coverage Worth It?

What Happens if I Crash into My Own Car in the Driveway?

While this situation might get slightly complicated, as you would have two cars with body damage, you still might be covered. With collision insurance, both cars will be taken care of, but you may end up paying two deductibles (one for each car), so you would want to discuss this possibility with your claims adjuster. However, you should only end up paying one surcharge, because only one car was the “at fault” vehicle. This situation can become yet more complicated in the event that the accident caused injuries, as this coverage would be handled through a separate insurance policy, not collision.

Does Car Insurance Cover If You Hit Your Own Car?

Whether both cars (meaning the vehicle you were operating and the car you hit), one car, or none is covered depends on your insurance policy. Collision insurance will ensure that both cars’ damage is covered, while comprehensive insurance does not cover either. If only one car is damaged, collision insurance will cover the costs, but the at fault claim will lead to a price increase when you renew your policy. In this situation, you can speak with your agent to determine whether the damages are extensive enough to warrant filing a claim and taking the extra hit to your wallet at renewal.

I Backed Into a Pole. Will My Insurance Cover It?

While collision insurance will almost always cover accidents involving car-on-car damage, that is not the case when you hit a pole or another non-vehicular object. In this situation, you want a comprehensive insurance policy, as this covers non-collision caused damages. However, just because you are covered does not mean you need to make a claim. If the damage is minor and repairs cost less than your deductible, then the easier route would be to avoid the claim and pay out of pocket. Keep in mind, though, you will also have to consider the damages you inflicted on the pole. Depending on the situation, you could potentially have to pay for those damages as well, and this coverage would be provided through liability policies.

Calling your insurance company to make a claim about hitting your own car or backing into a pole might be daunting and a bit embarrassing, but in the end, it’s a necessary evil in order to ensure that both of your cars are safe and operational. With the various policies insurance companies offer, the chances that all costs are covered are pretty good. Whether you have collision or comprehensive insurance, and whether or not you are covered, be sure to call your local auto body shop so they can get started on the repairs while your claims adjuster figures out the paperwork.