These days gas consumes a large portion of your monthly expense budget, therefore it’s always wise to conserve when possible. Follow these 5 simple tips below to use less gas regardless of the type of vehicle you drive.
1. Remove excess weight. Weight consumes energy and extra weight significantly increases fuel consumption by up to 2 percent for every 100 pounds. Take out any extra seats, if possible, and remove heavy objects that may be stored in your vehicle to reduce fuel usage. This affects small vehicles more than large ones.
2. Drive the speed limit. It might be tempting, even exciting, to drive faster than the posted speed limit to get somewhere quicker, but you increase your fuel consumption and put yourself at risk of getting a ticket. Fuel mileage starts to significantly decrease at speeds above 50 miles per hour, especially when you’re on roads that require you to stop and /or slow down.
3. Drive safely. This might seem like an obvious thing to do, but using aggressive driving maneuvers such as rapid stopping and going can use anywhere from 5 to 33 percent more fuel. Aggressive driving is significantly detrimental at highway speeds compared to cities, but you’re still saving money and making the roads safer for everyone.
4. Inflate your tires. If your tires are not properly inflated, you can use up to 3 percent more fuel. Check your tire pressure on a weekly basis, especially if you live in an area like Las Vegas with hot weather that can impact tire pressure.
5. Maintain your vehicle. Keep your vehicle in optimal running condition by performing regular maintenance on it. The spark plugs, air filter, oil filter and fuel filter can all have a negative impact on your fuel economy if they are not replaced regularly.
Many of these gas saving tips also help keep you and your vehicle safe and accident free. If you get into an accident, despite making changes to your own driving behavior, New Look Collision Center can help with bumper and collision repair, removing dents and renewing paint to get your vehicle back into tip-top shape.